What is Google My Business?
Google My Business is a free tool that lets you manage how your local business appears across Google products, like Maps and Search.
If you run a business that serves customers at a particular location, or you serve customers within a designated service area, Google My Business can help people find you. Verified businesses on Google are twice as likely to be considered reputable by users.
Imagine yourself in the shoes of a potential customer.
This customer is three blocks from your storefront and looking for exactly what you do best in the neighborhood
(maybe they’ve seen your sign or heard about your business from a friend.)
If they search for your services on Google, what will they find?
Maintaining your business presence on Google My Business can help customers discover the products and services you provide, contact you, and find your location.
And it’s all free.
Now let’s look at how local search results fit into the landscape of online marketing.
Your crash course in online marketing
There are a number of ways to manage the way your business appears online:
- Search engine optimization, or SEO, refers to how results appear when someone uses a search engine like Google. We call these organic search results. You can’t pay to change how and where organic search results appear: they’re determined by a number of factors, like how relevant they are to the original search. Learn how to improve your SEO.
- Search engine marketing, or SEM, refers to ads you buy to appear near search results—it’s what you can do with Google’s online advertising program, AdWords. When you’re ready to advertise your business, we suggest that you get started with the easy-to-use AdWords Express.
- Google My Business helps you maintain local results, which appear in a number of ways in Maps and Search. These results are tailored to particular geographic areas and help users find nearby businesses. Learn how Google ranks local results.
To recap: SEO, SEM, and management of local results are all ways to improve your online presence. Now, let’s take a closer look at local results and what you can do with Google My Business.
What you can do with Google My Business
You can think about the benefits of Google My Business in three categories.
- Maintain accurate information about your business online
- Tell Google your hours, website, phone number, and location (a street address, service area, or place marker, depending on your business)
- Use the mobile app to stay up-to-date with your online presence wherever you are
- Interact with customers
- Post photos of your business and its products and services
- Collect and respond to reviews from customers
- Attract new customers
- Improve how your business appears online so new customers can find you
- Point customers to your website
- When you’re ready, consider using location-based ads with AdWords Express to reach an even larger audience
Is Google My Business for you?
Let’s find out.
What kind of business do you manage?
Your business might be a great fit for Google My Business.
Google My Business is built for businesses that make in-person contact with customers during specific hours. It’s not for exclusively online businesses, homes for rent or sale, and businesses that have not yet opened. Learn more about eligibility for Google My Business.
For larger businesses, Google My Business also offers a tool for managing lots of locations. Learn more about bulk location management.
Ready to get started? Click the sign up button and proceed to the next page of this guide.
Unfortunately, Google My Business only serves businesses that make in-person contact with customers, and doesn’t serve online-only businesses. Learn more about eligibility for Google My Business.
There’s good news, though: you can still grow your business with Google by getting started with AdWords Express, Google’s easy-to-use online advertising platform.
We’ll start by signing up.